R and I had our second midwife appointment this past Wednesday. It went well enough. We actually got to hear the heartbeat this time around, so that was fun. We were also told that we'll get to come back in 3 weeks instead of 4 to get our sonogram and (hopefully) find out if the baby is a boy or a girl! Coincidentally enough, the day we will (hopefully) find out is my mom's birthday, and my half-birthday. Not that I celebrate my half-birthday. I've been trying to get away with that for years now, and it hasn't caught on. Maybe this year I'll buy a cupcake for myself.
I also found out some strange news at this appointment. I was told I have Group B Strep (GBS). Never heard of it? I hadn't either, even with the reading I've done so far. I'm apparently "colonized" (this word makes me feel like I've been invaded by little tiny aliens), which means it won't make me sick. It's a normal bacteria found in many pregnant women (and other adults), and while it's harmless to me, it can be very harmful to the baby. It's something that can be passed on to the baby during birth, and can cause some pretty serious health problems, and even death (I think this is when I stopped hearing everything the midwife was telling me).
It sounds fairly alarming just reading about it, but it sounds like it's actually pretty common, so hopefully everything will go well. Basically, the way to treat it, and hopefully avoid any issues, is for me to get an IV for antibiotics as soon as I go into labor. The antibiotics are more for protection for the baby than anything else. As long as I don't go into labor before 37 weeks (something GBS can cause), don't get a fever during labor, and don't have the longest labor ever, we should be good to go. And yes, this kind of makes me nervous, even though the chances of the baby getting sick are low.
After the appointment R and I went and checked out Happybottomus in Overland Park to buy a baby shower gift. They also have all kinds of cloth diapers that we looked into (among other baby things). Then we walked over to Whole Foods to get this pregnancy tea my midwife suggested I take, and I bought a larger-than-my-face double chocolate chip cookie. It was glorious.
No comments:
Post a Comment