Monday, December 20, 2010

First Trip to the Hospital

Well, it's day two of knowing about this pregnancy, and I've already been to the hospital.

WHAT?!?

I was exposed to a carbon monoxide leak for a few minutes, but it was enough to make me feel dizzy/nauseous. Of course, I didn't know if the symptoms were from pregnancy, or the CO exposure. I played it safe, and called Ask a Nurse. She said I should call 911, I told her I would have R take me to the ER. Let's not be dramatic here (although I DID go knock on my neighbor's door to see if they could take me, but they weren't home).

Everything went smoothly enough. One nurse told me I was just having sympathy pains, R called me a hypochondriac, and I told them that b/c I was pregnant, I wanted to play it safe. Turns out everything was fine. Blood was normal, BUT did show a few traces of CO, so I'm NOT a hypochondriac. After hearing that, I was glad I went just to make sure the baby and I would be okay.

The hardest part has STILL been keeping my mouth shut. Friends and family knew I went to the hospital, but I managed to not say anything, even to my mother. I didn't want her to find out with a phone call like this: "Hey mom, I think I've been exposed to CO, and feel dizzy, but I'm going to the hospital in case this causes my kid to grow an extra arm or two...Yeah, my kid...I'm pregnant, gotta go." Although I'm sure any reaction I've imagined would have been hilarious.

Overall, today was too much excitement that has come in the form of a giant bruise/lump on my wrist from having blood drawn from an artery. Gag. I'm looking forward to a day that's a little more low-key tomorrow.

 At least R and I knew how to entertain ourselves. Something I hope we can pass on to our kiddo.

No comments:

Post a Comment